Download FaPMI Brochure here
The FaPMI service development strategy was implemented in Victoria in 2007 by the Department of Health. The aim of the statewide strategy is to reduce the impact of parental mental illness on all family members’ especially dependent children and primary care givers who are in supporting roles.
FaMPI coordinators are employed to work closely with their area mental health service and external agencies to support and develop programs that reflect the needs of families in the area.
Coordinators do not provide direct clinical care although do offer the following;
- Secondary and tertiary consultation with mental health workers and external agencies.
- Support specific peer programs that are designed to meet the needs of children, young carers and parents. Such as parenting support.
- Increase the capacity of mental health services and network partners to respond appropriately to parents with mental illness. By providing family focused practice that acknowledges the needs of parents and their dependent children.
- Coordinated and flexible education, training and support to the mental health workforce and external agencies.
- Resources are available to parents and their children, throughout the service or can be accessed through mental health workers.
- Ensure that policies and procedures focus on identifying the presence of dependent children, and young carers that may be heavily involved in the needs of their parent.
Northeast & Border Mental Health Service Care of Children and Families information for parents, grandparents and carers
Let's talk abut children - Parent and family programs, support and referral options
Tips for parents: Helping your child with writing and concentration struggles
Facts for 5 - 8 year olds
Facts for 9 - 12 year olds
My parent has an eating disorder - information for children
My parent has borderline personality disorder - information for children
I need you A - Z: Understanding your baby's needs. A bringing up great kids resource
Connected Parenting. A bringing up great kids resource
Mindful Parenting. A bringing up great kids resource
Baby Care Plan
Care Plan for Kids and Young People
Family Care Plan
Mental Health Informaiton
What is mental illness?
What is depression?
What is anxiety?
What is bipolar disorder?
What is psychosis?
What is schizophrenia?